DH and I had to finally make a Technology Privileges Contract over the summer. We knew it was getting a little out of hand, but then the first week all the kids were out of school we didn’t see either of the boys without the glow of a screen across their faces. So I didn’t have to remind them every hour of the day to get off the technology – which I hate – we went ahead and made a contract.
It worked pretty well – we did have to amend after a week and say that they couldn’t start working on items until after 8am – there was a ridiculous strategy of getting up at 5am so they could grab the computer before their sibling finished their list. And as you might expect – the best policing of the policy was done by the siblings themselves 😀 Yeah!
Day Off/Summer Rules
You may have as much time with the computer/chromebook/wii/kindle/tv that you would like as long as the following items are done before you turn anything on.
- Picked up the room you slept in the night before/made bed
- Had breakfast
- Brushed teeth
- Brushed Hair
- 30 minutes of reading
- 30 minutes of writing/drawing
- Clean up 1 room (choose between downstairs bathroom, upstairs bathroom, computer room, shoe spot – if your brother or sister has already done one for the day, you need to do one of the others)
- Been outside for 30 minutes
- For 30 minutes built with legos, made a Rube Goldberg machine, worked a jigsaw puzzle, practiced a musical instrument or your chosen foreign language (you may substitute another 30 minutes of reading or outside for this)
- Played with the dogs for 30 minutes or taken them for a walk.
At anytime you may be asked to tend to your regular chores and you will have to comply. There will be regular Sunday chores.
At anytime you may be required to run and errand and/or spend some time with a parent(s) Expect for this rule to be invoked most evenings around dinner time.
THEN you may spend the remainder of the day with a screen and no harassment from your mom or dad.
I understand the day off/summer rules. Furthermore, if I don’t adhere to the rules, I understand that I will lose these technology privileges for the rest of the day: