Yeah! The best part of the holiday season is the songs (and my grandma’s pecan balls) and today I’m adding the eighth song to my Christmas playlist. Song Eight: Carol of the Bells by pretty much anybody
I don’t know if I have an absolute favorite Christmas tune – it would be challenging for me to pick some over others – but this particular song may be at the top of my list. A ‘bad’ version of this song does not come to mind. (That is not a challenge for you to find one for me.) Here are some notable versions:
George Winston’s version is as close to perfect as any one piece of music can get. Fun fact – the album December was the background music leading up to my wedding ceremony.
Barenaked Ladies is my goto when I try to explain to someone why Carol of the Bells should be required listening during the holidays.
Johnny Mathis‘s version because – well – yeah, obviously.
BarlowGirl if you want to switch it up a little bit as a medley and you like beautiful harmony with clear, pure voice.
Trans-Siberian Orchestra if you like your bells a little intense and mixed with We Three Kings.
And then there is Ray Coniff. This makes me giggle every time it shuffles up. It starts out pretty enough and then builds – much like the Christmas season – and wraps up with white people literally yelling over one another about bells ringing. It even has a group scream at the end AHHHHHHHHHHH! I’m not sure if that was the vibe they were going for when they recorded it – but it works.
To recap my list so far:
1. Christmas is Starting Now,Big Bad Voodoo Daddy
2. Feliz Navidad, Jose Feliciano
3. Gotta be Good, Chris Isaak
4. It’s Beginning to Look a lot Like Christmas, Harry Connick, Jr.
5. It Came Upon a Midnight Clear, Josh Groban MercyMe
6. Angels We Have Heard on High, Vanessa Williams
7. Do You Hear What I Hear, Vanessa Williams
8. Carol of the Bells, George Winston Barenaked Ladies Johnny Mathis
13 thoughts on “Carol of the Bells”