Yeah! The best part of the holiday season is the songs (and my grandma’s pecan balls) and today I’m adding the eleventh song to my Christmas playlist. Song Eleven: Sleigh Ride by Ella Fitzgerald or the Boston Pops (with shout-outs to Herb Alpert and the Ronettes.)
It’s pretty trite to say I could listen to Ella Fitzgerald sing the phone book. But I could. Here though, I don’t have to. I get to listen to her genius cadence and soothing alto on a classic holiday tune and happily could do it all day.
I love the Boston Pops version. It makes me smile on the inside. Makes me happy on the outside. It’s simply a joyful way to spend a couple of minutes.
Herb Alpert has probably the most intriguing and orignal arrangement for the song. Buy this whole album if you haven’t already. I guarantee there will be more songs on this list from this album.
The Ronettes because it’s the version we all think of when we first think of this song. Things become classic for a reason.
To recap my list so far:
1. Christmas is Starting Now, Big Bad Voodoo Daddy
2. Feliz Navidad, Jose Feliciano
3. Gotta Be Good, Chris Isaak
4. It’s Beginning to Look a lot Like Christmas, Harry Connick, Jr. or…
5. It Came Upon a Midnight Clear, Josh Grobin or Mercy Me or…
6. Angels We Have Heard on High, Vanessa Williams
7. Do You Hear What I Hear, Vanessa Williams
8. Carol of the Bells, George Winston or Barenaked Ladies or…
9. Someday at Christmas, Stevie Wonder
10. Cold December Night, Michael Buble
11. Sleigh Ride, Ella Fitzgerald or…