A few Sundays ago Glennon Doyle Melton (who for the most part I agree with and admire) was on Super Soul Sunday with Oprah talking about the 25 Things survey that was making the rounds a few years ago. She wrote on one of her ‘things you may not know’ – I believe it was number 6 – about her addicitions. A friend of hers number 6 was ‘I love hummus!’ and Glennon Doyle Melton felt like she was being deep and meaningful and others were, at the very least, not taking the list seriously. But they were probably lying to themselves about their list. Her friend was called out on television for liking hummus rather than opening up about whatever addicitions she might have. That made me sad.
I’m not a friend of Glennon Doyle Melton, but I do enjoy hummus. Especially the kind that comes with olives already mixed through it. I’m also a fairly positive and optimistic person, and I think my list actually DID reflect where I was at the time and I was not lying to social media about how great my life was.
Let’s lay off our friends who don’t post the bad happening in their lives. It doesn’t make them liars. And our judgement of them is a direct reflection of how we are feeling about ourselves.
I also applaud Glennon Doyle Melton for speaking her truth.
And for the record – here was my 25 things from 2009. Yes, I would change a few things if I were to write it again. Like apparently hummus wasn’t the bomb then that I think it is now.
Rules: Once you’ve been tagged, you are supposed to write a note with 25 random things, facts, habits, or goals about you. At the end, choose 25 people to be tagged. You have to tag the person who tagged you. If I tagged you, it’s because I want to know more about you.
(To do this, go to “notes” under tabs on your profile page, paste these instructions in the body of the note, type your 25 random things, tag 25 people (in the right hand corner of the app) then click publish.)
1. My favorite song of all time is Let It Be by The Beatles followed closely by Pretty Women from Sweeney Todd – any version I’ve heard really. It’s hard to mess with perfection.
2. I have been a patriot since an early age and I make no apologies for it.
3. My favorite food is Del Taco.
4. I believe people need to lose respect rather then earn it first. If everyone respected each other right off the bat what a wonderful world it would be.
5. I’m no good at keeping in touch but it does not mean I don’t love you.
6. I like to know how a movie or book is going to end before I read or watch it.
7. I share my birthday with Dick VanDyke.
8. Tigers are my favorite wild animal.
9. My fondest wish for myself is to live on property at Disneyworld.
10. My parents live with my family and it is a sacrifice but the rewards are immense.
11. I can’t think of a better movie then All That Jazz.
12. Turns out I really like living with different seasons. Summer is my least favorite, Fall is my most favorite.
13. The hardest thing in my life is to let my kids learn their own lessons.
14. I’ve seen INXS, Mr. Mister and They Might Be Giants all open for Adam Ant.
15. The first part in a play I ever had was Gretel in The Sound of Music. I remember very little except that I thought the person who played Liesl was most beautiful girl in the world.
16. I probably have the loudest family in Massachusetts. Maybe even the world.
17. I may have a gambling problem. I love Las Vegas more than anyone should.
18. I first watched the NFL to impress my then boyfriend but now I am a legitimate fan. Randy Moss is my all time favorite player.
19. I think Oprah Winfrey really is all that.
20. I buy Fruit Stripes gum whenever I see it on the shelves. Because when I was a kid I was never allowed to and I vowed when I was a grown-up I would get it. Fortunately it’s not widely available around here.
21. I think Stouffer’s lasagna is as good as anything in any Italian restaurant I’ve been to.
22. I love red wine. Brunello is my favorite.
23. This last presidential election is the first time I’ve been able to vote without a Bush or Clinton on the ballot.
24. I wish I had stuck with my piano lessons when I was young.
25. My husband is the coolest person on the planet.